Leadership Maine Recruitment
The open application period for Leadership Maine typically runs from January through April each year.
Recruitment for the 2017-2018 class is now open. This year's application deadline is Friday, April 28, 2017.
To learn more about the program and the application process, please review the information below.
If you would like to be added to the recruitment list for future classes or have any questions about the program, please do not hesitate to contact MDF at 622-6345.
Who Should Apply
Each year, Leadership Maine seeks 35-45 individuals who have:
- Personal concern for Maine’s economic well-being
- A commitment to take action
- Capacity to lead at the statewide level
- A record of accomplishment within their own organizations or communities
Leadership Maine participants include acknowledged leaders representing the private and public sectors from every region of Maine. Diversity among class members is critical to the success of the program, and special efforts are made to recruit from all sectors of the economy, and all regions of the state. No more than half of each class is represented by any particular sector and will include representation from business, education, government, non-profits, and health care.
The "open application" period for Leadership Maine runs from January through April each year.
- Online Application & Instructions
- Financial Information & Worksheet (optional)
- Leadership Maine 2017-2018 Calendar
- Realize Maine Network 2017 Scholorship Application
Before completing an application, please have the following application requirements prepared:
Ask two colleagues to write a letter of support for your participation in Leadership Maine. These letters should attest to your leadership capacity and record of accomplishment. Think carefully about who should write these letters of support, and discuss with them the elements that you would like them to include in the letter. These are the best indicators that the selection committee has and are the most important element in the process. Letters should be returned to you well before the application deadline or can be sent directly to the Maine Development Foundation. If you are not the CEO of your organization, one letter should be from your employer.
If you require financial assistance in order to participate in Leadership Maine, please complete a funding plan worksheet. This funding plan should be returned to MDF with your application. No financial information will be shared with the selection committee.
Prepare answers to the following questions in a single electronic document:
- We are currently seeking individuals with a record of accomplishment within an organization or community endeavors. How have, or are you currently making a difference in Maine? What do you feel passionate about?
- What leadership positions have you held and /or how have you demonstrated a capacity to lead? (Paid or Volunteer)
- We are seeking candidates who are personally committed to improving the future economic health and quality of life in Maine. How have you expressed your commitment in your work or volunteer life? How will you use this experience to impact Maine’s future economic health and quality of life?
- What do you want to take away from this program personally?
A completed application consists of:
- an online application
- an updated resume (attached to the online form)
- two letters of support
- if financial assistance is needed, your funding plan
- a $50 non-refundable, application fee (payable by check or on-line)
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact Leadership Maine.
For informational purposes, tuition for the current class is $3,950 for MDF members and $4,500 for non-members. Tuition includes the cost of the program, materials, meals, and facilities (also includes two nights of lodging for the Opening Retreat). Travel expenses to and from each session and all other lodging* costs are not covered by tuition. Tuition is payable in full by July 28, 2017, unless other arrangements have been made. Applicants whose organizations are not members of MDF are strongly encouraged to join. This may save the organization money and will provide you with many other benefits.
Limited financial assistance may be available upon request. Please complete a Funding Plan Worksheet. We ask that participants exhaust all other funding sources before making their request to MDF. All those capable of funding themselves are strongly encouraged to do so. Funding sources also may include a sponsoring organization or individual, an employer, or another affiliated organization (e.g. a trade organization). Payment plans are also available. All participants will be selected without regard to financial assistance requests. Funding Plan Worksheets will be kept in a separate, confidential file until the final selections have been made. If you are chosen to be a class member, we will then consider your request for financial aid in conjunction with other requests. When you are notified of your acceptance, you will also be informed of your scholarship award. Each participant is asked to make a minimum personal payment of $200. This payment is to assure your personal stake in the program. Regardless of the amount of financial support, your employer must support your full participation in the program allowing adequate time away from other duties.