Maine Development Foundation (MDF) is seeking a
Director of Finance & Administration.
As a member of the senior leadership team at MDF, the Director of Finance and Administration will play a critical role in strategic decision making and administrative operations. This is a tremendous opportunity to maximize and strengthen the internal capacity of a well-respected, high-impact organization. The successful candidate will be a hands-on and participative functional leader and will manage the following areas: finance, budgeting, human resources, office administration, and information technology.
MDF provides leadership, trusted research, and creative cross-sector partnerships to enable Maine business, community, and policy leaders to drive Maine’s long-term economic growth. Created in statute in 1977, MDF is a private, non-profit, non-partisan membership organization working with leaders statewide for sustainable growth. Our signature programs include Measures of Growth for the Maine Economic Growth Council, Leadership Maine, Policy Leaders Academy for the Maine Legislature, Next Step Maine, the Forest Economy Project, and the Maine Downtown Center. More information is available at www.mdf.org
The Director of Finance and Administration will inform the process and implement the infrastructure and systems needed to sustain and support the growth of MDF. S/he will lead processes for improving and managing effective, streamlined administrative systems, including financial, accounting, legal, information technology, human resources, and physical infrastructure.
Essential functions include:
• Serve as support and advisor to VP of Programs and CEO for financial, budgeting, and administrative processes—with an eye to continuously developing and improving systems.
• Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting.
• Effectively communicate and present critical financial matters to the CEO, VP and Board of Directors.
• Provide actionable, informative financial reports to VP of Programs and Program Directors to support program management and planning needs.
• Oversee management of the organization’s physical infrastructure, systems and maintenance to ensure efficient, effective operations. (Lease, phone system, security, office equipment, cleaning, supplies, etc.)
• Lead the design and management of information technology for current and future needs (hardware and software).
• Lead and manage processes related to MDF benefits, insurances, HR policies and practices, training, and employee development.
Profile of Successful Candidate
We seek a team member who is a self-starter, able to contribute proactively at the detailed, operational and systems level; can inform long-term operational planning; and meet the day-to-day needs of the organization and staff. The ideal candidate will:
• Enjoy the administrative, organizational, and leadership challenges of supporting diverse staff and programs.
• Be exceedingly well organized and flexible.
• Be skilled at and comfortable with wearing many hats in a fast-paced environment.
• Be able to multi-task while maintaining a high level of attention to detail.
• Demonstrate the ability to work with a team, communicate effectively, define processes, create feedback loops and achieve goals.
• Effectively translate financial concepts to, and effectively collaborate with, programmatic and fundraising colleagues regardless of finance background.
• Excel at analytical and abstract reasoning - demonstrating analytical, organizational and problem-solving skills that support and enable sound decision-making.
• Strong working knowledge of accounting and reporting software; experience with and/or knowledge of grants management; understanding of and past exposure to legal, audit, and compliance practices
• Be technologically savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors
• Be a doer not just a manager.
• Have excellent written and oral communication skills
• Have integrity, credibility, and a commitment to MDF’s mission
The Director of Finance and Administration will have:
• A minimum of eight years of professional experience
• Managed the finance and administration of a growth organization (preference given to nonprofit experience).
• Experience creating and driving the analytic framework for planning and managing programs and organizational change.
Position: Full time, exempt.
Reports to: CEO
Location: Primary location for this position is Augusta, Maine.
Salary: $55,000 - $75,000 based on experience and skills. Competitive benefits.
Application deadline: May 1, 2017
Process: Interested parties should submit cover letter, resume, and professional references via email to email@example.com. The subject line should read: Job Search-Director of Finance and Admin.
Inquiries can be made in confidence to the same address. The posting will remain open until filled. Qualified applicants may be contacted on a rolling basis prior to the deadline.